Competitions & Contests
Wax and Wildflowers IEA Juried Exhibition 2023
|Entry Dates||2023-04-15T23:59:00+00:00 - 2023-02-08T00:01:00+00:00 16 Days Left|
Wax and Wildflowers IEA Juried Exhibition 2023
Call for Entry
WAX AND WILDFLOWERS: A COLLABORATIVE EXHIBIT FROM INTERNATIONAL ENCAUSTIC ARTISTS AND THE SAN ANTONIO ART LEAGUE AND MUSEUM
June 11 – August 11, 2023
International Encaustic Artists (IEA) supports the growth and advancement of encaustic and wax artists at all stages of their careers and provides opportunities and resources within a global community. Their annual juried exhibition will be held at the San Antonio Art League and Museum in June of 2023.
The theme of the exhibit is Wax and Wildflowers. In collaborating with IEA, the Art League suggested this theme as a tribute to the fabled Davis Wildflower Competition of 1929 when wealthy oilman Edgar B. Davis asked the Art League to put out a call to artists all over the world to paint Texas wildflowers. Through their efforts, Davis and his Art League compatriots were successful in engaging the participation of the foremost Texas, national, and international artists of the day as well as attracting many of the nation’s most prominent arts leaders to San Antonio.
The call for Wax and Wildflowers invites national, international, and regional encaustic artists to interpret this same theme using the medium of encaustic (wax). Artists may interpret it in any way they wish - as a call for sustainable plantings, as a metaphor for uncultivated nature, as an abstract concept, as ecoprints with wax, or any other creative variation on the wildflower theme.
We are fortunate to have Dr. William E. Reaves and his wife Linda as Jurors for this exhibition. Bill Reaves wrote the book Texas Art and a Wildcatter's Dream: Edgar B. Davis and the San Antonio Art League. Both Bill and Linda are early collectors of Texas art, helped develop the Center for the Advancement and Study of Early Texas Art (CASETA) and operated a prominent fine arts gallery in Houston for more than a decade.
The exhibition will challenge encaustic artists from all over the world to interpret wildflowers through the medium of encaustic wax.
“Here's the thing about wildflowers
they take root wherever they are
grow strong through the wind, rain, pain, sunshine, blue skies and starless nights
they dance, even when it seems there is nothing worth dancing for
with or without you”
― Alisha Christensen, Still Growing Wildflowers
Call Opens February 14, 2023
Last day to submit April 15, 2023
Acceptance Notification May 15, 2023
Receive Shipped Artwork/Local Delivery May 29 - June 1, 2023
Opening Reception June 11, 2023
Show Closes August 11, 2023
Local Pick-up/Shipped Artwork Goes Out August 14 -15, 2023
• All IEA members and nonmembers working in wax as their primary medium
• Entrants must be 18 years or older
• All media are acceptable as long as wax (cold or heated) is the primary material
HOW TO ENTER
• ALL submissions will be online uploads of images of your artwork via artCall.org at https://waxandwildflowersieaju..
• If you are new to using Artcall.org, PLEASE read the following carefully, and watch the tutorial video below before entering. * To apply, register for the call at the above web address by creating an account (or logging in if you already have one) with artCall.org. You will get an email confirmation of your registration with a link to complete your submission. * Pay the submission fee, which will allow you to submit 3 artworks for $35. ArtCall.org uses the term "applications" to refer to artwork submissions. * Add the requested information and upload an image for each artwork application. If you are submitting a 3D sculpture, you can upload an additional detail image with each application. There are instructions along the way to help you. * Don't worry if you make a mistake or want to change your applications; you may continue to edit them until the call end date by logging back into your account. * There is a 60 minute time limit, so it is best to have all your images and information gathered and ready to go before beginning the entry submission (but you can make changes later if needed)
• Please do NOT include frames for images of 2D work or distracting backgrounds for 3D artwork. You can use the cropping tools within artCall.org if you like.
• Please submit images as jpg files using the following guidelines: 300 dpi images under 10 MB with the longer side dimension no smaller than 980 and no larger than 3200 pixels.
• For 3D work, you may submit one additional detail image per application.
• Submission period is February 14 – May 15, 2023
• $35 for up to 3 artwork applications payable at time of submission
• Once the call is over, you may check the status of your application by logging into your account at artCall.org. Juried status, receipt of artwork at the venue, and sales will be updated there.
1. All entries must follow the timelines provided.
2. Image submission via artCall.org must follow the guidelines in the IEA/SAALM prospectus
3. To be juried, entries must:
• Be original
• Have NOT been exhibited in previous IEA juried exhibitions
• Have NOT been completed under instruction or in direct association with a class or workshop
4. Once accepted, artwork must:
• Be ready for display – dried, physically stable and wired for hanging. D-rings strongly recommended on 2D work)
• NOT exceed 72" in height or 50" in width, including frame, or weigh more than 50lbs for 2D work. NOT exceed 72” X 50” X 30” or weigh more than 150 pounds for indoor 3D work.
• Have a completed ID tag attached to the back, upper right-hand corner of the artwork for 2D work or the bottom of 3D work. You will be able to print this ID tag through artCall.org.
• Be part of the exhibit until the closing date and NOT picked up early by the artist or purchaser
NOTE: San Antonio Art League & Museum reserves the right to reject entries, if necessary, in the interest of safety and ability to handle.
All artwork exhibited MUST BE PRICED and available for sale. SAALM requests a donation of 40% of the sale price and the artist will receive 60%.
1. All unsold artwork must be picked up by scheduled dates. It will not be held in climate-controlled storage after August 15, 2023 at 4 pm.
2. SAALM will not be responsible for loss or damage to any work of art submitted, and all works submitted and received are subject to this condition. All possible care will be used in handling entries.
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORK
Artwork must have an ID tag attached to the back, upper right-hand corner of the artwork for 2D work, or on the bottom of 3D work. You will be able to print this ID tag through artCall.org. ALL hanging hardware must be attached (NOTE: D-rings strongly recommended on 2-D art)
Accepted Artwork is to arrive at SAALM no later than June 1, 2023. Artwork, along with any necessary hardware for installation, must be shipped FedEx or UPS w/pre-paid return postage included to:
SAALM, 130 King William St, San Antonio, TX 78204.
Artists are responsible for all shipping and insurance charges to and from the exhibition site. Return prepaid shipping document must be included with submission.
Accepted artwork can be hand delivered on Thursday, June 1, 3-6 pm and Friday, June 2, 10 am-Noon to SAALM, 130 King William, San Antonio, TX 78204.
Monetary awards and honorary recognitions will be based on accepted physical artwork delivered to SAALM. The juror and SAALM reserve the right to reconsider delivered artwork if it’s different from the submitted image. These works may or may not be included in the exhibition at the discretion of the committee.
For more information about International Encaustic Artists, or to become a member, click here!
User Entry Process Tutorial
You can leave this video on your call site's homepage (or embed it on any page) for a quick tutorial your users can watch to help them with the submission process.