Competitions & Contests
Out of the Blue
|Entry Dates||2023-06-29T17:00:00+00:00 - 2023-04-28T09:00:00+00:00 24 Days Left|
Out of the Blue
National Juried Exhibition
July 31 - August 25, 2023
Gallery Underground2100 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202
Juried by Susan O'Neill$500 in cash prizes will be awarded
Artists are invited to submit works to Out of the Blue. This is a wide topic area open to artists’ interpretation, with potential themes ranging everywhere from sky or water scenes, depictions of the unexpected, emergence from melancholy times, or even a departure from the color blue.This call is open to all artists residing in the United States, and is applicable for all mediums, including any form of 2D or 3D work.
R E Q U I R E M E N T S:All media accepted. Digital Entries accepted online only at: https://www.outoftheblue.artcall.org
Entry fee: $40 for up to 2 digital Images – jpeg format only, 72 or 300 dpi, not larger than 1,000 pixels on the longest side.
C A L E N D A R:
Entry Deadline: 5pm EDT Thursday, June 29, 2023Notifications to artists: By July 7, 2023Receiving: 10am-12pm EDT Saturday, July 29, 2023Exhibit opens: 10am EDT Monday, July 31, 2023Reception & Awards Ceremony: 5pm to 7pm EDT Friday, August 4, 2023Exhibition closes: 6pm EDT Friday, August 25, 2023Pickup of work: 10am-12PM EDT Saturday, August 26, 2023
T E R M S & C O N D I T I O N S:
1. A maximum of two entries per artist is permitted ($40 for up to two). Entry fee of $40 is not refundable for any reason. One image (jpeg) per submission except for 3D artwork, for which 2 views of the work is permitted.
2. Any work previously accepted into an Arlington Artists Alliance juried show (Gallery Underground/Gallery Clarendon) will not be accepted.
3. All works must be original, entirely the work of the artist and not based on or incorporating copyrighted work by another artist or photographer unless the artist has obtained permission to use copyrighted work. This also applies to computer-generated and digital work.
4. No giclees prints, or other reproductions except photography and hand-pulled works will be accepted.
5. Two-dimensional work may not exceed 60 inches high and 48 inches wide nor weigh more than 50 lbs. 3D work may not exceed 6 feet on its longest side and must weigh less than 75 lbs.
6. By entering artwork(s) in this show, artist agrees that these works are currently available - not in any other show, on any online or other sales venues or otherwise unavailable to deliver to show if accepted. Artist agrees that any accepted work will be available to deliver by deadline specified and will be removed from any online sales venue until close of the show.
7. Artists may not substitute another work for an accepted work, alter a work, change the sales price, or withdraw or remove a work after it has been accepted.
8. All work must be for sale, priced at $100 and up. No work accepted and hung in the show may be removed by the artist until close of the show. Work is considered consigned to Gallery Underground, who will be the exclusive seller of the work for the duration of the show.
9. All two-dimensional works on paper must be matted under glass or Plexiglas.
10. Photographs printed on stretched canvas will not be accepted. Photographs framed under glass or Plexiglas must be matted. Photos mounted on metal and photos under glass without a frame are acceptable and do not need a mat, as long as the backs are wired for hanging. Photographs should be signed, either on the mat or on the photo. Please email curators if you have any other method of displaying photography.
11. Works on gallery-wrapped canvas must have sides painted with no staples showing.
12. All work must be ready for presentation with the appropriate framing and hanging wire. Framing standards will be sent upon acceptance of your work. Work not meeting these framing standards will not be hung.
13. Gallery Underground reserves the right to refuse any entry which does not match the images submitted or meet the criteria enumerated here. $40 entry fee is not refundable in the event work is rejected.
A C C E P T E D W O R K S:
Artworks will be delivered between 10am-12pm EDT Saturday, July 29, 2023. Work may be shipped/delivered prior to July 29, 2023. Our hours are 10am – 6pm EDT Monday – Friday. Any work not received by 12pm EDT Saturday, July 29, 2023, will not be hung. Any work not picked up within 30 days of the date of pickup will become the property of Gallery Underground.
N O T I F I C A T I O N:
Notification of accepted or unaccepted work will be via email as early as possible after deadline, but no later than Friday, July 7, 2023. Sales will be promoted. Gallery Underground will retain a 30% commission on all sales (20% for current Arlington Artists Alliance members).
P U B L I C I T Y D I S C L A I M E R:
Gallery Underground reserves the right to use entry photographs for purposes of publicity, documentation, and promotion.
L E G A L A G R E E M E N T:
Submission of entry constitutes an agreement on the part of the artist to comply with all of the conditions and terms contained in this prospectus. No work accepted into this agreement may be withdrawn prior to the close of the exhibition. All decisions of the Juror are final. No refunds will be granted for noncompliance with this agreement.
A B O U T T H E J U R O R:
Susan O’Neill is a Fine Artist known for capturing her inspirations with vitality and expressiveness. She has been called a dynamic artist whose verve and vitality permeate her artwork and teaching instruction, where she emphasizes the importance of a strong foundation in the principles of art and design to achieve fresh and unique works of art. She holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Michigan. She has studied with internationally recognized instructors at the University of Michigan, the Rhode Island School of Design, the Corcoran School of Art, Studio Incaminati in Philadelphia, and The Art League in Alexandria. Susan’s many years of diverse experience have honed her artist’s eye and provided varied opportunities to exhibit her work. She has received multiple “Best in Show” awards and honors in drawing, watercolor, and oil painting. Currently, she is on the faculty at The Art League and the University of Maryland. She is represented at Principle Gallery in Alexandria, Virginia.
Curator: Jessica Mickey
If you have entered a previous show on the ArtCall.org site, click on the "login" button, above, to log in to your account and you will be taken to the page that says "update user profile for this call" - check that your phone number is correct and then pay the $40 fee. Boxes will then pop up saying "Payment successful, a payment receipt was emailed to you" and "Registration successful, a confirmation was emailed to you. You may now submit your submissions." You will then be able to click on the orange "+ add new submissions" button and upload your images. Be sure to check your spam folder for the confirmation emails. Before logging in, please scroll down to read full show prospectus, terms, and conditions.
If this is your first time entering a show using this site, please view the tutorial at the very bottom of this page. Click on the "start" button to start the video and then click on the "full screen" square icon in the lower right corner to enlarge the video. Per the video, you will be clicking on the "register" button, above, you will fill out your info to register and pay the $40 fee, and then you will be taken to a page where you may submit up to two images.
First time using this site? View the tutorial, below: Click on the "start" button to start the video and then click on the "full screen" square icon in the lower right corner to enlarge the video.