|Entry Dates||2024-03-17T17:00:00+00:00 - 2023-12-04T09:00:00+00:00 110 Days Left|
Young Contemporaries 202440th Annual Juried Student Exhibition
Welcome to the Laband Art Gallery's Juried Student Exhibition SUBMISSION PORTAL. We are thrilled to invite you to submit your artwork as we organize an IN-PERSON exhibition to recognize the outstanding artwork you have created during this year.
What Is A Juried Show?
All artwork entered will be judged and selected by two art-world professionals. This process is called “jurying” and it is a common selection process for creating exhibitions by competitive entry. Jurors’ choices are not based on any set theme or criteria; rather, jurors evaluate artwork based on the strength of your ideas and your realization of that idea in your work. We invite artists, instructors, curators—some of which are LMU alumni—to serve as jurors and we pick new jurors every year.
The two jurors will select the artwork to be included in this exhibition and will recognize several outstanding artworks with special commendation and cash prizes. The Laband’s Director will present an award to an artist whose work has the strongest social justice theme. Art Department scholarships are also awarded to students who participate in this exhibition.
When To Submit? Dec. 4, 2023 – Mar. 17, 2024
1. Online Submissions will be open 24/7 beginning December 4, 2023
2. Submission Deadline: Sunday, March 17, 2024, at 5:00 pm PDT
Who Can Submit?
Submissions are open to all undergraduate students (freshman–senior) who have taken a studio art class at LMU during the 2023–2024 academic year. Art Majors, art minors, and everyone who has taken an art class this school year is eligible.
What Can I Submit?
1. This exhibition is meant to be expansive and we encourage you to enter your artwork in any media. This includes 2-D and 3-D design, drawing, graphic arts, typography, illustration, multimedia, film, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and performance.
2. Your artwork must be recent and have been created some time since last summer 2023.
3. Work does NOT need to have been done for a class assignment: any artwork you created this year is eligible.
4. Seniors MAY submit artworks that are being exhibited in their “Senior Show.”
5. Submit the best work you have made during the past school year. 6. Size limitation: The Laband will accept and install artwork up to 6 ft. by 6 ft or of a comparable size.
How To Submit?
1. Your application and submission are done entirely online.
2. There is no fee to enter your work.
3. Each artwork will be a unique submission. You are invited to enter up to three separate artworks, which will be judged independently.
4. Take professional images of your work! You are an artist and you want your work to appear professional online. All images must be a close reproduction of the actual work. Please crop and color correct images before submitting.
5. Please watch a quick tutorial on photographing artwork:
6. If submitting 3-D works, we encourage you to upload images from multiple angles of the piece. You may also include “detail” shots to give jurors a better idea of the texture of a work.
7. If submitting a series of works as one project, photograph them as one work. You are expected to also explain your concept of how all the images work together to make a single piece.
8. Documentation of performance-based works or installations can be submitted as still and/or video images. A detailed explanation must be included in the artwork description field.
9. Please fill in ALL the required fields.
10. We thank you for your participation, however, your submission is not a guarantee of inclusion in the exhibition. The two jurors will make final selections.
After You Submit
1. The jurors will review all submissions and make their selections by the end of March. You will receive notice if your work was juried into the exhibition via email.
2. Please note, that unless covid conditions worsen, the Laband intends to hold the 2024 Juried Exhibition IN-PERSON in the gallery. So if your work is chosen you will need to have it "gallery-ready" and then deliver it to the exhibition space. We will share more on the topic of making your work "gallery ready" if your work is chosen.
3. Exhibition dates: April 18-May 4th. Opening reception: April 18, 5-7 PM.
Thank you for following these instructions and submitting your artwork.
Best of luck from the Laband Art Gallery.
QUESTIONS? Please email Molly Corey, Gallery Manager, (email@example.com)